Start a new topic
Answered

Held Images are being transcribed

Anyone else having issues with the 2 week hold on recently uploaded images? I've visited some really old church graveyards in Ireland and wanted to do the transcriptions myself. I selected the option to transcribe them myself but a day after uploading, other users have already transcribed them. Since the headstones are weathered and hard to read in pictures, many of the information was transcribed incorrectly. I've emailed the helpdesk and hopefully this is resolved asap.

asked Apr 2 in Transcribing Images by Ccornwall BG Beginner

Best Answer

This is an extremely hot topic on the community, and I would like a chance to answer it here. I too am a BG User just like everyone else. I am probably one of the earliest users to the site, because when I heard about BillionGraves, I opened up a free account immediately in 2011.   I have also noticed speedy transcribers throughout the years going through my photos and doing a poor job of transcribing. I am also a genealogist and insist on things being done right. For those of you concerned with numbers and stats, you might not like what I am about to say, but this is what I do. 

Most transcribers are in it for the numbers. We also have more transcribers than photo takers. What I do is simply wait.  When it looks as though my cemetery has been "transcribed" I go back over what has been done through by opening up my profile, clicking on the photos I have taken and re-transcribing poorly done stones.( This is fairly easy to do if you pull up BillionGraves on more than one tab in your browser.)   

NO ONE will touch them at that point. I also add historical context in the notes, FamilySearch connections, and even add epitaphs.  Many times I get saved as the transcriber any way, because of all of the extra information I have just added. 

As a BillionGraves Team member, we have reviewed our policy and here is where it stands.  When you are at the cemetery taking photos a popup will appear. It asks if you would like to transcribe your photos. If you click yes, it will keep the 14 day window for transcriptions on your photos.  If you click no, the general public will have access to transcriptions. 

Personally, I love the research end of family history and enjoy the challenge of adding any additional information to help others in their quest for family, as this is what it is ultimately all about!

Answer

This is an extremely hot topic on the community, and I would like a chance to answer it here. I too am a BG User just like everyone else. I am probably one of the earliest users to the site, because when I heard about BillionGraves, I opened up a free account immediately in 2011.   I have also noticed speedy transcribers throughout the years going through my photos and doing a poor job of transcribing. I am also a genealogist and insist on things being done right. For those of you concerned with numbers and stats, you might not like what I am about to say, but this is what I do. 

Most transcribers are in it for the numbers. We also have more transcribers than photo takers. What I do is simply wait.  When it looks as though my cemetery has been "transcribed" I go back over what has been done through by opening up my profile, clicking on the photos I have taken and re-transcribing poorly done stones.( This is fairly easy to do if you pull up BillionGraves on more than one tab in your browser.)   

NO ONE will touch them at that point. I also add historical context in the notes, FamilySearch connections, and even add epitaphs.  Many times I get saved as the transcriber any way, because of all of the extra information I have just added. 

As a BillionGraves Team member, we have reviewed our policy and here is where it stands.  When you are at the cemetery taking photos a popup will appear. It asks if you would like to transcribe your photos. If you click yes, it will keep the 14 day window for transcriptions on your photos.  If you click no, the general public will have access to transcriptions. 

Personally, I love the research end of family history and enjoy the challenge of adding any additional information to help others in their quest for family, as this is what it is ultimately all about!

2 people like this

I don't get that popup on my Android device. I would like to have something on the website that allows me to select the photos I would want to send to the public queue. Make the default to reserve the 14 day window and opt out if you want to release them. I also think that the 50-mile zone should not be the default. What if I take images of ancestral burials site grounds, but do not have time to transcribe until I get home, a day's drive later. Someone else will have at them before I even get a chance to clear the bad snaps and check linking. 

Try placing this in on the forum for a feature request. I spoke to our technical department and the 50-mile radius is no longer observed. The popup for the transcriptions occurs when you click download. It will then ask if you would like to transcribe these. If it is not working on Android, can you put it in a bug report for our technicians.  Thank You!

2 people like this
So, i am very confused. The original poster stated clearly that he took photos in Ireland and requested to transcribe same. He states the day after he took the photos transcribers had already jumped to the task of transcribing his phots, and making a botch up of the job. A young replied that transcribers wait 14 days to transcribe. If that is the case, why did the original poster say the day after he took his photos transcribers were inaccurately recording his photos? I have gone to several cemeteries and have wanted to do my own transcriptions because the stones were difficult to read and i took written notes as the photos were nearly illegible. Because i crave accuracy, i never uploaded the photos. This is a huge problem to me. Furthermore, i do not understand what a young wrote of who to enter ones own correct transcriptions after someone else did a botch job. I want to go out while the weather is nice. But, i want to be assured that my work is transcribed correctly, because i took the photos and i took notes...

The 14 day hold period now seems to be working well since the option to indicate you want to transcribe your own photos was inserted into the upload process. I use an android phone and consistently see this message when I initiate an upload. So far none of my photos have been touched during the 14 day hold period which contrasts favuorably with the poaching that happened in the May Madness season last year. Thanks Anna for the hint on how to correct my badly transcribed images.  I've  also found that doing this through the new transcription screen gives me credit for the correction.

1 person likes this

@ CelticSun26 There could be a couple of problems going on. Either the original poster did not select the "transcribe self" pop-up in the phone or they did not have the latest app. Our latest Android App is version 4.4 Build 86.  This version allows a user to set transcriptions for themselves after taking photos. You just have to get the latest update at the Google Play store. If for some reason you can't get the update, the problem will be that the phone is too old for the update.  

If you want accuracy but are not concerned with stats, such as myself, don't worry about transcribers going through your photos. I am an accuracy nut!  I visited several cemeteries in Texas, USA last year. Most stones were extremely difficult to read. Transcribers had already done my photos when I got home, and I wasn't too concerned. Why? Because I don't care about transcription stats. When they were done with my cemeteries, I simply went into my account.  Selected My Images from My Profile and went through the entire cemetery again adding correct information from family information and research that I had obtained. 

If you care about stats, make sure you select transcribe photos before uploading, you will have a 14-day window to complete them. 

Login or Signup to post a comment