How does BillionGraves work?

Here is how this website works. We have cemeteries in our collection. The records within these cemeteries are created by volunteers who go out into cemeteries and take photos of headstones with an app. The app is a special tool, in that it takes a photo and places a GPS marker on the photo.  The GPS marker lets people know precisely where that grave marker is within a cemetery, and that it is within the cemetery.  This feature sets our website apart from others that are currently out there. 

We do not claim to have all records or all cemeteries in our collection. If you can't find what you are searching for, you will need to make sure we have the cemetery in our database, if we don't you can add it.  If we have the cemetery, but not the individual you are looking for, you will need to place a photo request within that cemetery and a very kind volunteer will go out and take the photo of that particular individual or if they can't find it, they will let you know. 

Sometimes this requires some waiting. Not every cemetery is close to a volunteer and we have more volunteers willing to transcribe, than those who currently take photos. If the cemetery is in a remote location, you may have to wait for quite some time. 

I am a photo taker and find it to be rewarding to go to remote places and collect these photos. I live in Utah, which is in the western part of the United States, but have traveled to California, West Virginia, Texas, and Georgia to collect photos of my ancestors. Along the way I have photographed remote cemeteries in these other places, of people who are not family, in order to help others. Our volunteer photographers love to help in this way to benefit everyone!

3 people like this
Login or Signup to post a comment