Start a new topic
Answered

Uploading Geotagged photos but lat long not loading

I took a headstone picture with my iphone (not the billiongraves app, but just the iphone camera app). I downloaded it to my computer. I went to billiongraves.com on my computer. I uploaded the photo. The gps coordinates do not appear to have been loaded to bg even though the photos have lat/long tags in their embedded information. Should the lat/long come into bg this way?

I think I'm figuring out that the answer is no, that the ONLY way to get a geotagged photo into bg as the main headstone photo with gps coordinates made available is via the bg app. Just want to make sure this is the case. 

i actually just took a whole cemeteries worth of headstone pics thinking my method would work (and it's my first contribution to bg).... 

Best Answer

I have worked as a volunteer for the company since its start in 2011. I have also traveled from Utah to California, Texas, West Virginia, Texas, Tennessee, Georgia, Virginia and Maryland, on my own dime, to take photos, and I have loved every minute of it! Many of the photos I took for BillionGraves were already on FindAGrave.  However, the photo quality of BillionGraves and the technology that drives the site, in my humble opinion, is far superior.  As a volunteer, I have been able to capture and help a lot of people and  this brings me a lot of satisfaction.  Using the app throughout the U.S., I was able to capture and mark, not just my own family data, but hundreds of other people's data as well. If individuals visit the cemeteries I have captured, they too will be able to walk to their loved ones grave. Just as a previous volunteer did for me.  Volunteering usually means that you are accomplishing a work for someone else out of the kindness of your own heart; and, this is what I love most about genealogy as a whole, the idea of helping others with their family journey, just as I have uncovered my own. 

To go back on topic, in all that time, I have NEVER needed the GPS Data.  This is one of the best features of the app is the fact that it can be used to walk directly to a headstone. In one particular Californian cemetery, a volunteer group had filmed the entire cemetery of over 5,000 markers.  I was able to walk directly to my great-grandmother's headstone in less than two minutes using the app. I don't live in California, and wasn't familiar with either the large cemetery or the area as a whole.  The GPS driven data in the app made the overall experience wonderful for me and my impatient children who were with me.

Find A Grave and BillionGraves are competing companies. Find A Grave is owned by a large corporation, and BillionGraves is an independently owned company. These are not reference companies like Wikipedia.  Each company has a little niche in the very small Genealogical market in which they specialize. Our specialty is GPS driven cemetery genealogical data, and we pride ourselves in being a technologically advanced company. As competing companies we also have an agreement to never use the data from each other as this is a fair practice for both companies. 

Our GPS data is what sets our company apart from others out there. Just as you would never see Col. Sanders 16 herbs and spices Original Recipe shared online, or the specs for creating your own iphone online, you will also never see our GPS data out there for all to see.   

Related question:  After uploading a headstone photo with the BG app which includes the embedded lat-long coordinates, how does a user later retrieve or display the lat-long coordinates from the photo on the BG website?  At the time I uploaded the photos, I thought i would be able to get the coordinates off the photo in order to record them into my genealogy database.  But I haven't figured that part out yet. :-(

Al:

BG considers the lat/long data as proprietary in-house data, and they do not post it because of that. Too bad for your needs, but understandable from their point. 

One work-around would be to open Google Earth, navigate to the cemetery of interest, and zoom in until you get to the graves of interest. The GPS lat/long data are displayed in little popups but I can't figure out a way to copy and paste from that. I have hand-entered a few times, but find that so cumbersome. I hope someone else has a tip to get around that in Google earth or maps. Google Earth has much better resolution now.

DS

1 person likes this

I've been through the app upside and down. I've come to my own conclusion the only way to get a geotagged headstone into the app as the main headstone is via an app photo. 

I've also been through the app and site upside and down trying to get the lat/long out. I'm convinced it's not possible. 

There's a setting in the app that allows a copy of the photo to be saved to the camera roll as well.  So if I take a pic via the app, it saves a copy to my pics, but not the geotag info.  If any BG folks read this, please reconsider... make lat/long available for viewing on the site as well as pass the lat long and accuracy to the header info in the locally saved copy. 

1 person likes this

Excellent suggestions and comments, DS and Gumbudah!  Thanks for your replies and your thoughts.  I wonder if there is a way to formally request the developer to add such an important user feature as post-upload retrieval of the Lat-Long coordinates from the headstone photo's geotag!

Geotagged information will never be published, as this is considered, as DSWRIGHT stated, private inhouse information. 

Booo!!! Bad choice. Please reconsider policy. I think its rather underhanded.... Volunteers are populating this. seems volunteers should be able to havelat/long for pics they take. Volunteers look at it as helping people. sounds like bg looks at it as non-compete business... just sayin. fwiw i still really like the app/service. this just aggrivates me asnow i haveto walk each cemetery twice. one to get bg photos, then again to get geotagged photos for myself.
Answer

I have worked as a volunteer for the company since its start in 2011. I have also traveled from Utah to California, Texas, West Virginia, Texas, Tennessee, Georgia, Virginia and Maryland, on my own dime, to take photos, and I have loved every minute of it! Many of the photos I took for BillionGraves were already on FindAGrave.  However, the photo quality of BillionGraves and the technology that drives the site, in my humble opinion, is far superior.  As a volunteer, I have been able to capture and help a lot of people and  this brings me a lot of satisfaction.  Using the app throughout the U.S., I was able to capture and mark, not just my own family data, but hundreds of other people's data as well. If individuals visit the cemeteries I have captured, they too will be able to walk to their loved ones grave. Just as a previous volunteer did for me.  Volunteering usually means that you are accomplishing a work for someone else out of the kindness of your own heart; and, this is what I love most about genealogy as a whole, the idea of helping others with their family journey, just as I have uncovered my own. 

To go back on topic, in all that time, I have NEVER needed the GPS Data.  This is one of the best features of the app is the fact that it can be used to walk directly to a headstone. In one particular Californian cemetery, a volunteer group had filmed the entire cemetery of over 5,000 markers.  I was able to walk directly to my great-grandmother's headstone in less than two minutes using the app. I don't live in California, and wasn't familiar with either the large cemetery or the area as a whole.  The GPS driven data in the app made the overall experience wonderful for me and my impatient children who were with me.

Find A Grave and BillionGraves are competing companies. Find A Grave is owned by a large corporation, and BillionGraves is an independently owned company. These are not reference companies like Wikipedia.  Each company has a little niche in the very small Genealogical market in which they specialize. Our specialty is GPS driven cemetery genealogical data, and we pride ourselves in being a technologically advanced company. As competing companies we also have an agreement to never use the data from each other as this is a fair practice for both companies. 

Our GPS data is what sets our company apart from others out there. Just as you would never see Col. Sanders 16 herbs and spices Original Recipe shared online, or the specs for creating your own iphone online, you will also never see our GPS data out there for all to see.   

In reply to AYoung's comment:  "To go back on topic, in all that time, I have NEVER needed the GPS Data.  This is one of the best features of the app is the fact that it can be used to walk directly to a headstone. "

--------------

Mr. Young, I need the GPS data in my genealogy database.  That's one of several reasons I go to photograph headstones.  While it's wonderful that one can use the BG app to "walk directly to a headstone", cell phone service / wifi coverage is not  available at many cemetery locations.  BG needs to change their policy about the availability of the GPS data to users.  I'm going to get the GPS coordinates for my database one way or the other, and BG is only making it more difficult and tedious than it should be.

Login or Signup to post a comment