Start a new topic

GPS inaccuracies

I have noticed that some GPS markers on a cemetery I have been recording are a significant distance away from their proper location - with some showing places outside of the cemetery, and on the other side of a railway. Is there anything I can do when taking photos to improve the accuracy of the GPS. The cemetery is quite crowded, and so being 20-50 yards away from the correct location would make headstones very difficult to find. Any tips welcome. 

I hope you get an answer to this one because have the same problem.  GPS has the monuments in the backyards of neighboring houses.  long time ago I posted the same question but never received an adequate fix.  Hopefully,  time has improved this problem.

I believe you need to adjust the GPS settings on your phone, and it will then instruct you recalibrate your device again. 

How to do this, is dependent on your device, etc. 

Thanks - I’ll give that a try. However, the problem is not consistent. Some pins are very accurate and most close enough, but there are too many that too far the actual place to make searching easy.

Part of the problem is the inherent inaccuracy built into CIVILIAN devices. The GPS system originally was a military project, and up until about 5 years ago, civilian devices were off by a matter of 10 or 15 yards (meters). Depending upon where your phone was made, and where and when the GPS chips were purchased, this may still occur. I noticed a difference comparing the military units to my civilian one, when I was still in the RCN (I released in 2016, but checked accuracy in 2015). In terms of civilian navigation, a difference of 10-20 yards is usually close enough to find the address. When calling in rounds, that much of an error can be fatal.

This may be a duplicate post, if so, please remove.

Part of the problem is the inherent inaccuracy built into CIVILIAN devices. GPS was originally a military project. When it started being used for civilian purposes, there was a 10-15 yard (metre) inaccuracy which the US military forced companies to build in. Depending upon the age of your device, where it was manufactured, and when and where the chips inside were built and calibrated, you may be suffering from this. Before releasing from the RCN, one of my tasks was to ensure that the GPS units we used were at least accurate within themselves. If a boat gave a GPS location from one of ours, we had to be sure that using another one of ours would at least get us to within sight of the boat. When finding an address, 10-20 yards is usually close enough to do so. When calling in rounds, that much of a discrepancy can be fatal.

I do find before taking the photo i look at the GPS in the left bottom corner of my phone, and i will see 10,15, satellite and then i wait for few second and the number will go down and went it reach 3 satellite  i take the photo ,it give me a good position for the tombstone... 

Login or Signup to post a comment