Please add military information to military headstones!

It has come to our attention that some of our transcribers are not adding in military information on military headstones. If you do not want to add this information, please do not work in military cemeteries. 

Please also be forewarned, that if you do this your transcriptions will be reset and you will lose data from your account. Sorry about that!

3 people like this

Sorry, but i disagree with that. Sure, military information is important, but not as important as the names and dates of the burried. Same for any additional information on the headstone.  That transcribing can be done later by family members or researchers.

I will stop transcribing military headstones if it is as discribed above.

@Korbip For both families and researchers information is needed on the stone during the transcription. It also helps our veteran groups to be able to identify which branch of the armed services these individuals served under as well as which conflicts. Without these items being put into transcription, it becomes rather difficult for veteran groups to look through thousands of stones in a cemetery to determine their brothers in arms. For example, an army veteran wants to determine out of a cemetery of 10,000 burials which soldiers served in the 122nd Airborne. Does  he look through 10,000 images to figure this out, or would it be better if we could provide that information to him?  

Another issue comes into play when a genealogist or family member is researching their 3rd great-grandfather whose name is John Smith, and served in the Union Army for the state of Pennsylvania. If we do not place the state that is featured on the headstone in transcription, this would make the researching rather difficult. A plain John Smith helps no one, but John Smith serving in Pennsylvania could help someone be found! We understand that American Civil War records require an extra step, not only do you need to type the name and the state, but we would really like researchers to find the name in the national database and put in the death dates provided there. These are not on the stone, but the national database has them, especially for those buried in the Nashville National.  As a researcher and a family member of Civil War era soldiers, I find it important to know the unit, and the dates of death. July 1863, for example,  becomes a very important date of death because you will know this soldier most likely died at Gettysburg. Without dates, and military information, the record is a lot less helpful! 

If you do not want to proceed in military cemeteries we totally understand, as we know these are not for everyone!

Here are examples of an American Civil War Veteran done right! Notice the grave number is in the epitaph.  The notes display where the user got the extra information from. 

Notice the user only had to type in 5 extra words in the military description box. This isn't hard, it just takes a little extra effort!

1 person likes this

Transcribing a headstone - if you can read it, you write it down word for word.  Nothing more, nothing less. 

On occasion we find another language, Google "Translate" can help. Copy and paste to the translation tool, explore the beautiful languages, good luck and have fun.      

@paulamirada2  If you know how to research and find extra information on an individual such as a death date, we do encourage this as long as sources are placed in the notes box. :)

I apologize if I did something wrong.  Which individual are you referring to please?  :)

@paulamirada2 

You are just fine!  I'm just stating that extra information can be added in that is not necessarily on the stone. For example parent's names, death dates, names instead of initials. These can all be added in as long as there is a source in the notes box. :)

ALSO PLEASE DO NOT TRANSLATE STONES!  IF YOU DO NOT KNOW THE LANGUAGE THE STONE IS IN, SKIP IT!  ESPECIALLY STONES WITH DIACRITICS! THANK YOU!!!!

Login or Signup to post a comment