Start a new topic
Answered

"states" of the United Kingdom

The UK consists of England, Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland.

There would be a good case for including the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man.

Some fool keeps adding bogus "states".  Please set things so that that is not possible.

Best Answer

There is already a llisting in the site map "Channel Islands - UK" which includes those islands, even those that are "French". As the Isle of Man is not associated with that geographic clusters, it does make sense for it to be a separate listing. However, all of these are not technically part of the UK. They are that peculiar category known as "Crown Dependencies", and are self-governing bodies, under the protection of the Queen. However, I would not suggest creating that as a group, as few people would even know to look in that category for one of these dependencies.  

I personally take the view that political grouping does not make sense in a lot of cases of former colonies/protectorates, etc. I think it is better to create top level designations that make it possible for users to type in the most obvious terms and get a decent yield in the search engines. 

Also some time ago, there was some interchange between some users and the staff about the difficulty of restricting how users enter geographic/political place names, as there is no uniformity of Nation/country or state/province/region, or county/administrative district.  

Their decision was to leave the flexibility in the entry system, and focus on cleaning the data set from time to time to eliminate inadvertent duplicates and that is best done by local users who understand their geopolitical structure. 

DS

Answer

There is already a llisting in the site map "Channel Islands - UK" which includes those islands, even those that are "French". As the Isle of Man is not associated with that geographic clusters, it does make sense for it to be a separate listing. However, all of these are not technically part of the UK. They are that peculiar category known as "Crown Dependencies", and are self-governing bodies, under the protection of the Queen. However, I would not suggest creating that as a group, as few people would even know to look in that category for one of these dependencies.  

I personally take the view that political grouping does not make sense in a lot of cases of former colonies/protectorates, etc. I think it is better to create top level designations that make it possible for users to type in the most obvious terms and get a decent yield in the search engines. 

Also some time ago, there was some interchange between some users and the staff about the difficulty of restricting how users enter geographic/political place names, as there is no uniformity of Nation/country or state/province/region, or county/administrative district.  

Their decision was to leave the flexibility in the entry system, and focus on cleaning the data set from time to time to eliminate inadvertent duplicates and that is best done by local users who understand their geopolitical structure. 

DS

@ Donna

Thank you, D.S. Wright.

There may be some sense in what you say, but there is certainly no
sense in allowing people to enter counties or districts as "states" of
the UK. Once the data set has been cleaned, it should be locked to
prevent changes.

............ Hugh Casement

Login or Signup to post a comment