Take Photos of Gravestones at Your Local Cemetery
BillionGraves’ mission is to preserve the world's cemeteries, one headstone at a time. Each gravestone is marked with a GPS location, making them readily available for free for millions of families around the globe for genealogical research for generations to come.
Across the world, gravestones are deteriorating and erosion is erasing the precious details of our ancestor’s lives. With BillionGraves, even if a loved one’s gravestone is damaged or worn by time, the invaluable information recorded at their final resting place will still be available.
How can you help? Grab your smartphone, download the free BillionGraves app and head out to your local cemetery. It's as easy as taking pictures of each grave as you walk along. The app will capture the GPS location automatically and in just a short visit hundreds of records can be preserved. When you are finished upload the photos - with one click of a button - so everyone can use them for family history and to keep the memories alive of those you honor and love.
• Download the free BillionGraves app to your smartphone.
• After opening the app click on the “Cemeteries” button.
• Click the pin of your choice.
• Click on the name of the cemetery, which will open the cemetery information.
• Click on “Headstone Images” to see a map of the cemetery.
• Pins represent gravestones that have already had photos taken. Look for a section of the cemetery without pins.
• Zoom-in as needed.
• Begin taking photos.
• Stand to the side to avoid casting a shadow.
• Remove weeds, grass, or other debris that may block gravestone information.
• Be sure names and dates are inside the photo frame.
• Use the link icon in the corner of the screen to connect photos. This may be done for gravestones with multiple sides or to link family members.
• Use the pencil icon in the corner of the screen to label stones that may be difficult for transcribers to read.
• When you are done, click on “upload photos”. You can do this after you return home using a Wi-fi connection or at the cemetery with data.
If you are the project leader go to https://billiongraves.com/adopt to adopt your cemetery and to declare it complete when all the gravestones have been photographed.