It is NOT a duplication of work, since BillionGraves has a very different mission, uses different tools, and collects very specific data.
1. EVERY HEADSTONE ON BILLIONGRAVES HAS A PHOTO AND GPS LOCATION.
2. We use our free mobile applications to capture the photo and the GPS location of every grave. In cases where gravestones are no longer present, we accept high-resolution photos in lieu of app submitted photos.
3. BillionGraves connects data to a variety of partners. This makes the records available to more genealogists and provides value to millions of people all over the world.
4. BillionGraves is an open-source database that is EVIDENCE FIRST. Meaning, we start with a photo of a gravestone and then connect the photo to a person on a family tree.
5. GPS provides irrefutable evidence that the information on the stone was found in the cemetery. This follows the Genealogical Proof Standards. A photo attached to a GPS coordinate provides tangible evidence that someone was in that cemetery. If someone doesn't believe the data on the gravestone, we provide the exact location of where to find the gravestone if additional verification is needed.
6. It provides GPS coordinates for family members to find the location of the grave in the cemetery if they wish to visit the gravesite. This is extremely valuable in large cemeteries or in cemeteries without an office or plot map to assist the family in finding their gravesites.
7. The GPS coordinates can be used in conjunction with other life events that can be tracked via GPS to provide additional validation of correct sourcing. This is especially useful for families with common last names.
8. In the event of natural disasters, the gravestones can be returned to the proper location.
9. In the event of vandalism, gravestones can be reset in their proper locations. The images preserve the names and dates prior to the vandalism.
10. BillionGraves provides accurate and actionable information to manage cemeteries in cases where no organization is present.
11. GPS can assist genealogists in finding additional family members through burial proximity. Family grave plots that are marked or unmarked can be discovered using GPS mapping. Learn more about BillionGraves Plus features HERE.
12. You may also be interested in this BillionGraves blog post: What is the Difference Between BillonGraves and Find A Grave?